Sunday, March 3, 2013

Gender Reveal Parties

As a new mommy-to-be I have been obsessed with Pinterest ideas, trends, & nursery decorating tips!  One new (at least to me) trend among couples is to have a Gender Reveal Party.  The idea is that instead of finding out if you are having a boy or girl in a doctors office, you have the doctor write down the gender and put it in an envelope.  From there you take this envelope to a bakery, party store, etc depending on what "the plan" is.  I've seen pictures of couples releasing pink or blue balloons from a box or cutting a cake to reveal an inner layer of pink or blue frosting.
So when it came time for our own gender reveal, it was a no brainer!  I wanted to have a small dinner party and find out with our friends.  We decided to use the cake idea and headed off to our favorite bakery, Swedish Bakery, in Andersonville, Chicago.  The girls who took our order were SO EXCITED!  One of them even cried!  As we left I looked at my friend and said, "they might be more excited than me!"  It was such a relief not to have the envelope in my possession anymore as it was very tempting to forget the whole plan and take a peek.
Our party was very small, intimate, and simple: we invited 6 close friends over for dinner and had my family who lives in Michigan skype in for the cake cutting.  It was a lot of fun!  Our guests wore pink or blue depending on what their vote was, we decorated with pink & blue streamers, plates, silverware, had pink and blue sodas, hershey bars, and a poster where we tallied our votes.
It was a huge surprise when our cake turned out to be pink on the inside as we both had the feeling it would be blue.  Now in the aftermath of our party, I am so happy to always have those memories of sharing the moment with our friends.
                                                       

And now, the next big secret ... what's her name???

No comments:

Post a Comment